Holton is a village and parish, situated on the road from Wincanton to Taunton and Yeovil, 6 miles south from Bruton, 6 south east from Castle Cary and 2½ south west from Wincanton, in the eastern division of the county, Whitley hundred, Wincanton petty sessional division, union and county court district, deanery of Cary, archdeaconry of Taunton and diocese of Bath and Wells. A stream flows to the south of the parish , but does not form the boundary. The church of St John is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells. The church was restored in 1882-5. The register dates from 1558 and is imperfect. .............. There is a Baptist chapel.
The soil is clayie, subsoil clay and stone. The land is chiefly used for dairy purposes, the arable growing wheat and barley. The area is 1,187 acres and the population in 1881 was 169. .................. 1889 Kelly's Directory
|1801 -||1861 -|
|1811 -||1871 -|
|1821 -||1881 -|
|1831 -||1891 -|
|1841 - 117 male, 107 female = 224||1901 -|