Maperton is a parish, situated near the road from London to Exeter, 4 miles north west from Templecombe Junction Railway Station. The parish is situated in the Eastern Division of the County, Wincanton Union, county court district and petty sessional division, Catsash hundred, rural deanery of Cary, archdeaconry of Taunton and diocese of Bath and Wells. It shares it boundaries with the parishes of Yarlington to the north, Bratton Seymour and Holton to the East, North Cheriton to the south, Charlton Horethorne to the south west and Compton Pauncefoot and Blackford to the west.
The church of Saints Peter and Paul, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt with Bath stone in 1869. The style is principally Early English and the church consists of chancel with vestry, nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower, containing 3 bells. In the chancel is a Norman Piscina which was removed from the old church. The windows are stained and were given by Major Fitzgerald. The Parish Register dates from 1556.
This parish also at one time contained the Hamlets of Clapton, situated a mile west of the church, Hatherley which lays a mile and half south east and contained two farms and there was also Slatterford a mile and quarter south east which did have 6 houses.
There was at one time a good freestone quarry and a brick factory in the parish. The soil is clayey, the subsoil is fuller's earth and fuller's earth rock. The chief crops were wheat, barley, oats, beans and green crops. The parish was quite large considering its small population and consisted of 1,101 acres and the population in 1881 was 203.
This is a small rural Parish and the population could vary depending on how much work was available. As the 1800's progress, like other small rural parishes in this area there was a gradual decline in population during the second half of the century into the early 1900's. - The following figures are mainly from census records.